Students with management, engineering, and technology backgrounds can take project management courses. Project management is a rapidly growing sector in North America, making it an excellent choice for international students who are highly motivated and want to become managers. Ontario is a highly sought-after province in Canada. Many colleges are offering Ontario graduate certificates for project management. Graduates also receive the highest average salary.
Project management programs will allow you to learn and practice skills, ethics, and industry standards. Canada has many subjects related to project management, including Accounting and Finance, Operations Management, and Risk Management. Quality Management, Strategic Management, and Managerial Economics. HR Management is also available. These will vary depending on the program, institution, and curriculum. This guide will help you understand the process of project management in Canada. It will also provide information about admissions, fees, scope, and other details.
Why Study Project Management in Canada?
These are the reasons why project management in Canada is worthwhile:
- Prospects: The Project Management Institute (PMI) reports that between 2008 and 2027, around 8,500 new jobs will be created annually. Canada alone will offer 90,000. The scope of project management is enormous in Canada.
- Preparation for certifications These include Project Management Professional, Certified Associate in Project Management, and Project Management-Agile certified practitioner (PMI-ACP span>
- Students-friendly Immigration Policies: Canada’s popularity as a study abroad destination is due to its 2-year stay-back period.
What does PMP certification mean in Canada?
Canada’s Project Management Professional (PMP), Certification is internationally recognized for validating knowledge and understanding of project management per international standards. It is a valuable certification that can add around 20% to an individual’s income compared to a person who is not certified. Around 10,00,000. PMP-certified people are worldwide. You must meet the following requirements to apply for a PMP certification in Canada:
- A secondary degree with at least five years of experience in project management. This must include at least 7,500 hours of project leadership and management education.
- A four-year bachelor’s degree with at least three years of experience in project management. This must include at least 4,500 hours of project leadership and management and 35 hours of education.
Project Management professionals can command very high salaries because they possess a rare and advanced set of skills. A degree in Project Management can lead to a salary range of $38,000-56,000 annually. The amount you earn will vary depending on the experience and designation of your company. According to the Project Management Talent Gap 2017-2027: Employers will require around 87.7 million Project Managers by 2027.
Canada is a great place to study. It offers a diverse environment and a wide range of cultural experiences. IDP’s international education experts will help you choose and apply for Project Management courses in Canada. This will enhance your career and personality.
Top 5 Universities for Project Management in Canada
These are the 5 top colleges in Canada for project management:
- University of Calgary
- University of New Brunswick
- University of British Columbia
- Vancouver Island University
- Northeastern University
University of Calgary
The University of Calgary offers two options for project management: the MS in Civil Engineering or MEng in Civil Engineering. The main difference between these two programs is that the former is thesis-based, and the latter is career-based.
University of New Brunswick
The University of New Brunswick offers a 1-year MBA in Project Management.
University of British Columbia
Project Management is a specialty of the Civil Engineering program of the University of British Columbia. This department is well-known as Canada’s largest and most research-intensive.
Vancouver Island University
This 1-year Graduate Diploma in Project Management leads to Project Management Professional (PMP) and Certified Associate in Project Management.
The Project Management Institute’s Global Accreditation Center has awarded the Northeastern University a flexible Master of Science degree in Project Management. It can be completed online, on-ground, or in hybrid modes within 15 to 24 months.
Eligibility Criteria to Take Project Management Courses in Canada
The eligibility requirements for project management programs vary depending on which program you choose. To be eligible for project management courses in Canada, you must meet the following criteria:
- Educational qualifications
- English proficiency test scores
- Entry test scores to study in Canada
- Work experience
Let’s take a closer look at each requirement for admission to project management courses in Canada:
High school education (i.e., You must complete 10+2 to be eligible for admission into bachelor’s programs in project management. You must have a bachelor’s degree in project management from a recognized university with an overall average of at least 75% to be eligible for graduate-level admission.
English Language Proficiency Test Scores
To prove English language proficiency, you must submit scores from the IELTS, TOEFL, and other acceptable tests. For different levels of programs, the minimum IELTS requirement is:
- IELTS score for diploma/ undergraduate programs: 5.5-6.0
- IELTS score for graduate/ PG diploma/ advanced diploma programs: 6.5
- IELTS score to Ph.D.: 6.5-7.0
Entry Test Scores for Studying In Canada
Canada’s project management colleges may require entrance test scores to be admitted. If accepted by an institution, undergraduate students might be required to submit SAT or ACT scores. These scores can be used to prove English proficiency. Graduate students must submit GMAT/GRE scores for all two-year project management courses in Canada. Admission to universities requires a minimum GMAT score of at least 550. Universities also accept scores from the GRE, CAT, or LSAT.
Your application to Canada’s competitive graduate programs in project management is incomplete without work experience. Candidates with experience in the field are more likely to get a Canadian graduate certificate in project management. For universities that offer an MBA in Project Management in Canada, it is recommended that you have at least two years of experience in the workplace.
To prove that you meet the admission criteria, you will need to submit supporting documents:
Documents Requirements for Project Management in Canada
This is a list of documents that are required to be admitted to Project Management Courses in Canada for International Students:
- Transcripts of academic transcripts from institutions
- Certificate of completion for UG programs
- Certificate of Completion for PG Programs
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- SAT/ ACT scores for UG programs or GMAT/ GR scores for PG programs
- Statement purpose
- Criminal background check
- Copy of the passport
- Proof that finances
Application Process for Project Management in Canada
To avoid last-minute hassles and maximize your chances of getting into top colleges in Canada for project management, it is good to apply as soon as possible. Fall is the primary intake for project management courses in Canada for international students. Depending on which program you choose, you may be eligible to apply for Winter or Summer intakes.
To apply to Canadian project management colleges, you will need to follow these steps:
- Check the university website for information about the requirements and intakes available to your program.
- Fill out the online application.
- Add supporting documents following the instructions.
- Check the university website regularly for updates regarding your application.
- Your email will contain your invitation to admission.
- Confirm your acceptance and pay the tuition fees to reserve your spot.
- Once you have received approval confirmation, you can continue applying for a Canadian Study Permit.
Studying Project Management Courses in Canada
For project management studies in Canada, you will need to invest a substantial amount of money. You will need to pay for the cost of living and program fees. To cover your monthly living expenses, you will need approximately 800-1,000CAD. The amount you need will vary depending on where you live, what type of accommodation you choose, and your lifestyle preferences.
Career Opportunities After Project Management in Canada
An average salary for a project manager in Canada is 140,000 CAD annually. Many factors can affect your salary, including where you live, how much experience you have, and your level of education. Your salary ranges from 71,500 to 216,000 Canadian dollars per year. Project management isn’t limited to one sector in Canada. Opportunities are available in IT, Engineering and Healthcare, Construction, Finance and Consulting, Manufacturing, Telecommunications, and other sectors. Canada’s best areas to work as project managers are Ontario, Quebec, and Alberta, among other provinces.
Below is a table that shows the various job titles you can expect to get hired and their average annual salary:
Commonly Asked Questions about Project Management in Canada
- Which are the most popular courses in project management in Canada?
- Which universities are best for project management in Canada?
- How is it different from a PG Diploma in project management and a Masters’s in Project Management in Canada in Canada?
Ans. A PG Diploma in project management is a one-year program, while the Masters in Project Management in Canada is a 2-year course in project management.
- What is the average salary after taking project management courses in Canada?
Ans. Depending on your education, experience, and location, you can expect to make between 71,500 and 216,000 Canadian dollars per year as a project manager after completing courses in Canada.
- Canada is suitable for project managers.
Ans. Canada is a promising option for project managers due to the growing demand.