How to Get a Student Visa for the Netherlands

how to get a visa for Netherland

After working out the country that is appropriate for your study abroad, and you have decided to go with the Netherlands, the next thing to do is complete the process of applying for a visa.

It is not a pleasant experience for everyone because it takes lots of time to organize, gather, and prepare all necessary documents and details. But, obtaining a student visa to the Netherlands isn’t that difficult, and there aren’t all international students required to go through it.

Apply to a Dutch university and obtain an acceptance letter

If you’re unsure where you’d like to go to school in the Netherlands, you’ll need to decide before beginning the student visa application process. If you are accepted at a Dutch institution, you’ll be issued an acceptance letter that is required for your visa application.

If you require a visa, your institution should notify you and begin the process of applying. If this isn’t the case, you should contact them and ask for help. Once the university has received the acceptance by the Immigration Service, they will be in touch with you. The next step will be to locate the nearest consulate or embassy in your nation and apply for a visa to enter the country. (MVV ).

Take a look at some of the top institutions within the Netherlands:

  • Utrecht University
  • Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Radboud University
  • Wageningen The University of Wageningen and the Research Institute
  • Erasmus University Rotterdam
  • Tilburg University
  • University of Twente

Visa for students vs. residency authorization within the Netherlands

First, you don’t need a student visa or residency permit when you’re a citizen of the EU/EEA region or different nations (Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, the US, and Vatican City). Vatican City).

What happens if an international student studying in an entirely different country? It’s all dependent on the length of your stay/study:

  • A short-stay or Schengen visa is mandatory if you plan to attend a course in the Netherlands for 90 days or less.
  • A visa for entry (MVV) and a residence permit (VVR) are required if you intend to attend a course in the Netherlands for longer than 90-days. Like the short-stay visa, the MVV is valid only for 90 days and must be in conjunction with the application for the VVR.

Where and when to apply for a Study Visa (MVV)

  • Your school should be able to begin the application process. If that doesn’t happen, you can directly contact them. If the request from the university is accepted, you can apply for an entrance visa through the consulate or embassy in your home country.
  • The time it takes to process the visa application generally is one month. You may collect the MVV after three months. However, this is dependent on your nationality, as well as other aspects.

Important information about Residence license (VVR)

If you choose to change your subject and begin another one in the future, the length of time you’ve previously studied will be subtracted from the duration of your new course. When the date for expiration on your residency permit, you can extend your stay for the remainder of your studies.

In certain circumstances, residence permits can be canceled if, for instance, you fail to make enough progress concerning your academic progress (at least 50% of the credits you must earn every school year).

The institution will be required to notify the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) when you end your studies, complete your enrollment as a student, or do not have enough funds to pay for the living expenses. This could result in the IND cancellation of your residence permit or visa.

Language requirements to study within the Netherlands

A minimum of English proficiency is necessary to learn at any level in the Netherlands, Not just for courses taught in English but also for courses taught in Dutch.

The most widely tested English testing methods are

  • IELTS Academic
  • PTE Academic

Documents required for application for The Dutch Study Visa:

  • Completed visa application form
  • Valid passport
  • Two photographs
  • Birth certificate
  • Transcripts of academics
  • Letter of officiality from an educational institution in the Netherlands
  • Study plan complete Explains why you are looking to study the selected subject and explains how and why it’s related to your previous studies.
  • Financial document for the whole time that you are studying (around 870 EUR per month)
  • Health insurance and travel
  • Visa application fee (174 EUR)
  • Photocopies of the original documents
  • Tuberculosis Test (required for citizens from certain countries)
  • Photocopies of all original documents
  • Biometric information

Specific information regarding this Dutch Student Visa that is available to Chinese students

The People’s Republic of China students need to obtain a Nuffic Certificate to qualify for a Dutch entry visa. They must also enroll in an English-taught course. This is not the case for citizens of Hong Kong (SAR), Macau (SAR), and Taiwan (ROC ).

The Nuffic Certificate guarantees that Chinese university students can study in the Netherlands and confirm their English proficiency and the authenticity of academic certificates and degrees.

Resident permit for the Netherlands

Typically universities will submit applications to obtain residence permission (VVR) through you on behalf of the applicant. However, they’ll charge you the fee for their services.

The residence permit serves the capacity of a study visa. It allows you to remain inside the country during the entire time of your program. If required, the VVR is extended to an additional three months in addition to the preceding year.

When you arrive in the Netherlands, You must join the Municipal Personal Records Database (BPR) in the municipality where you will be living.

While studying in the Netherlands

If you plan to work while you pursue your study in the Netherlands, You may require an employment permit based on the country of your citizenship.

Citizens of Europe and the EEA (except in the case of Croatia), Switzerland, and Japan are not required to have an employment permit and are subject to no restrictions on the number of working hours. Citizens of Croatia and other countries require a work permit. Still, only an employer or the employment agency can apply for the work permit on behalf of the applicant.

Students from other countries are permitted to work for up to 10 hours per week or in full-time work during the summer months, but only.

Visit the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) website for more details on the residence permit and visa for the Netherlands.