How to Apply for a Canadian Study Permit

black girl studying

Canada is a popular destination for international students. You will need a Canadian study permit to study in Canada.

Get your Canadian study permit now!

What’s a study permit?

To study in Canada, most foreign nationals require a study permit. A study permit allows foreign nationals to enroll in Canada’s designated learning institutions (DLIs). Before you apply, make sure you have all the necessary documents. Before you travel to Canada, you must use.

The study permit is not a visa. This permit does not allow you to enter Canada. A visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) may be required. We will issue you an electronic travel authorization (eTA) if we approve your study permits.

Request a Study Permit

A study permit is a legal authorization to allow a person to study in Canada at a Designated Learning Institution. A study permit is required for foreign nationals to apply. Some conditions must be fulfilled throughout the student’s stay in Canada.

The process of applying for a permit to study in Canada is complex. Processing times can vary from one country to the next. It is essential to plan so that your ticket will be issued before you begin your study period. Most Canadian post-secondary education programs begin study in September, January or May. However, some programs offer intakes beyond these dates.

A foreign national cannot apply for a study permit if they don’t have an acceptance letter. They should verify the start date and process for their schools or programs of interest well in advance to obtain the acceptance letters and complete the application for the permit.

Study Permit Requirements

You must be aware of two things when applying for a Canadian student permit. These are eligibility requirements and requirements while you study in Canada.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a study permit, you must meet the following criteria:


You must receive a letter from your school confirming your acceptance. Your study permit application must include a copy or an electronic copy of the letter.

Prerequisite courses and conditional acceptance

Prerequisite courses are required for conditionally accepted students. These could be English as a Second Language or French as a Second Language course. These must be completed before you can begin your main study program.

If that is the case, your study permit will only be issued for the duration of the courses and one year. To extend your student stay, you will need to apply for a student permit once accepted to your main program.


You don’t need to sign a letter accepting a study permit/work permit application from a relative before you can come to Canada.

Proof that you are an individual

You and your family members must have when applying for a study permit.

  • a valid passport or travel document
  • Online applicants: You can upload a copy of your passport’s information page when you apply online.
    • Once you have been approved, you will need to send us your original ticket.
    • US citizens have several options regarding the identification documents they can carry.
    • Lawful permanent residents in the United States must have a valid green card (or an equivalent official proof of status) and a passport from their country (or an equivalent document).
  • two recent passport-size photos
    • On the back of every image, write the name and birth date.

Proof of financial support

You will need to prove that you can provide for yourself and your family in Canada.

Use to verify your funds.

  • If money has been transferred to Canada, proof a Canadian bank account under your name.
  • Guaranteed investment certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • Proof of student or education loan at a bank
  • View your bank statements from the last four months
  • A bank draft that can convert to Canadian dollars
  • Proof you have paid tuition and housing fees
  • A letter from the school or person who gave you money.
  • Proof of funding received from Canada if you are a recipient of a scholarship or enrolled in an educational program

The minimum amount of funds required to support yourself and your family (and any relatives who are with you):

Outside Quebec

Persons coming to CanadaAmount of funds required per year (doesn’t include tuition)Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)
You (the student)CAN$10,000CAN$833
First family memberCAN$4,000CAN$333
Every additional accompanying family memberCAN$3,000CAN$255


You and your two family members will need to travel to another province for one year.

  • Living expenses: $10,000 for students
  • Living expenses: $4,000 for the first member of your family
  • Living expenses: $3,000 for the second member of your family
  • Total: $17,000

In Quebec

People coming to CanadaAmount of funds required per year (doesn’t include tuition)Amount of funds required per month (doesn’t include tuition)
1 person under the age of 18CAN$6,569CAN$547
1 person aged 18 or overCAN$13,134CAN$1,095
2 people aged 18 or overCAN$19,264CAN$1,605
2 people aged 18 or over and 1 person under the age of 18CAN$21,579CAN$1,798
2 people aged 18 or over and 2 people under the age of 18CAN$23,290CAN$1,941

Letter of explanation

It helps the visa officer understand your goals and preferences. It explains.

  • Why you should study in Canada and
  • You understand your responsibilities and responsibilities as a student

This letter should be included if you apply for a study visa.

Quebec Acceptance Certificate

Quebec Acceptance Certificates (CAQ) are required if you plan to stay in Quebec for more than six months. The details of how to apply for the CAQ can be found at your school. The Gouvernement du Quebec can obtain them.

If your CAQ application was approved by the Ministere de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de integration, but you are still waiting for the CAQ, you can apply for your MIFI approval letter for your study permit. The CAQ does not have to be used.

You can apply for a permit to study in Quebec if you plan to stay for less than six months.

Custodian declaration (minor children)

If the minor needs one, you must attach the Custodianship Declaration Form (PDF, 1.02 Mb) to your application. The form is two pages long and must be notarized (certified or certified by a notary). It should then be included with your application for a study permit.

The custodian must sign the first page. And The parents or legal guardians in Canada for the minor child must sign the second.

Other documents

For local requirements, check the visa instructions in your country.

You may need to prove that you are an immigrant if you’re not currently living in your home country.

Before applying for a Canadian visa, you will need a re-entry permit if the government has issued your passport. Other documents may be required.

We need documents to support an application that is in progress.

  • To request supporting documents, we’ll reach out to you.
    • This will take place in the coming months.
    • The period begins when we contact you to request the information.
  • Start collecting your documents.
    • Before we get you, please do this. Some documents may take some time to obtain.
    • Please review the email we have just sent to you to confirm that you are submitting the correct information.
  • Do not travel to another country to get the supporting documents.
  • We’ll consider your deadline if you can provide a reason that proves you are affected by COVID-19.

Requirements for studying in Canada

To maintain your study permit’s validity, once your access has been approved, you will need to meet the following requirements: A study permit is required for international students studying in Canada.

  • Must always enroll at a Designated Education Institution (DLI).
  • makes progress towards the completion of their program
  • must adhere to all conditions listed in their study permit
  • Stop studying if they do not meet the requirements.
  • Leave Canada after their visa expires.

Application Process

There are four steps to getting a Canadian study permit.

  1. Verify your eligibility. A DLI acceptance letter, proof of financial support, and various documents are required depending on where you live and your country of citizenship.
  2. Preparing your application. If you are eligible, you can submit your study permit application. You must ensure that you have all the documents necessary for your country. If they feel that an applicant does not meet all requirements, immigration officers may refuse to issue study permits. It is essential to have an experienced immigration representative review your application before submitting it.
  3. Send your study permit application. There are two ways to submit your application. You can create an account on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website and submit your application electronically by scanning or electronic copy of the documents. Send a paper-based request: You can submit your application in hardcopy and mail it to your country’s Visa Application Centre (VAC).
  4. You can travel to Canada if your study permit has been approved. You will not be issued a Canadian study permit until you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry. Once the Canadian government has approved your visa, you will receive a Port of Entry Introduction letter. To obtain your study permit, you must keep the letter and present it to immigration officials upon arrival in Canada.

Your study permit is not valid as a visa. This means that you might need a travel visa to enter Canada, depending on where you are from.

Study Permit Exemptions

Some foreign nationals do not require a permit to study in Canada. These are the most popular exemptions to the study permit requirement.

Short-Term Studies

If a foreign national is enrolled in a six-month or shorter program of study, they do not need a permit. A study permit is required for foreign nationals who take more than six months to complete a program.

Minor children in Canada

Minor children are under 18 or 19, although the age varies from one province to another. They do not require a study permit to attend kindergarten, preschool, primary, or secondary school if they meet the following conditions:

  • They are (or their parents!) refugees or asylum claimants
  • They are traveling with a parent authorized to study or work

Foreign armed forces members

An active duty member of an overseas armed force does not need a permit to study. Their family members may need study permits. Please complete our free student assessment to determine if you need a Canada study permit. One of our Educational Counsellors can contact you to discuss your options.