Bringing your Spouse and Family on a Canadian student visa

Bringing your Spouse and Family on a Canadian student visa

It is not easy to apply to have your family members join you as an international students in Canada.

Your family can either visit you for a brief time or stay for the duration of your studies. If approved, your family may come to Canada with you or after you arrive.

Canadian study permits can be temporary residence permits. This means that the permit holder must prove to the visa officer that they intend to leave Canada after their permit expires. Sometimes, a student may request to bring their entire family to Canada. In these cases, the visa officer might suspect that they don’t have the intention of leaving Canada after the study program. This could affect the decision of the visa officer to issue the study permit.


Study permit applicants must submit a statement explaining why Canada is the right place for them. The applicant can use this section to describe why their spouse or children would like to accompany them to Canada. The immigration officer will make the final decision about whether or not to approve a study permit. It is possible to apply for a study visa without family members. However, a revised application can be submitted to authorize family members to come to Canada.

Suppose the applicant doesn’t follow the correct procedures. In that case, however, they could be accused of misrepresenting their application and face a five-year ban from Canada. The applicant must show sufficient financial resources to sustain themselves for the first year of their studies. If they wish to have their family members accompany them, they should be prepared with additional funds. International students accompanied by their spouse or dependent children should consider how this may affect their housing and insurance needs.

Bringing Your Spouse

While a foreign national may include their spouse in their Canadian study permit application, it is essential to consider the potential impact this could have on the approval process. A spouse accompanied by a foreign national will be approved for a Canadian study permit. The spouse can then apply for a spouse open work permit. The spouse will be able to work full time for any Canadian employer for the same period of their partner’s study permits. Each partner must apply separately for a study permit if they are interested in studying in Canada.

Work Permits For Spouses

Students who are full-time and have a valid student permit can apply for an open work permit for their spouse or common-law partner. Openwork permits allow an international student’s spouse or common-law partner to work. They are usually valid for the duration of the student’s pass. The student must be enrolled full-time and hold a valid license to study at:

  • A public institution of higher education; or
  • A private post-secondary institution was operating under the same rules as public institutions and receiving half of its total operations budget from grants from the government.
  • A private institution that confers degrees under provincial statutes.

The open work permit permits the bearer to work in Canada for any employer. It does not require a job application or a Labour Market Impact Assessment. This available work permit does not allow for certain occupations, such as hospitals or schools.

Bringing Your Dependent Children

While a foreign national may include their dependent children in an application for a Canadian student permit, it is essential to consider the potential impact this could have on the approval. A visa will be issued to the dependent child if the foreign national is granted a Canadian study permit. This visa allows them to stay in Canada for the same time as the permit holder. Minor children can pursue education at any level, pre-school through primary or secondary, provided that one of their parents has been authorized to work or study in Canada.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada defines a “dependent child” as anyone under 22 without a spouse or partner. Suppose a person cannot support their own financial needs due to mental or physical conditions. In that case, they may still be considered dependent.

Minor Children and Canadian Study Permit Rules

Your minor child can study in Canada if you, your spouse, or your common-law partner, are already here. To continue their studies in Canada, the child must apply for a permit to set the minimum age once they reach the province’s age. You can complete this application from anywhere in Canada. For more information, please refer to the table below.

You will need to apply from outside Canada for your child’s study visa at a Canadian overseas Visa office.

Applying Together

Plan to bring your entire family to Canada during your studies, and you will be arriving at the exact moment. It may make sense to fill out one application. You will need additional documentation if you have multiple permit applications (e.g., your study permit, your spouse’s work permit, etc.), and you will need additional fees (such as the extra fee for the work permit span>

Do children need a permit to study?

A child accompanying an adult in Canada with a work permit or study permit can study in Canada, but not a license for the primary, secondary, and high school levels.


Notice: A visitor record or study permit may be required for a child to enter Canada. Suppose the child has only a visitor record or a Canadian stamp on their passport. In that case, they are authorized to study without a permit.

Is it possible to bring my parents with me while I have a student permit?

International students may invite their parents to visit them while on a study permit. They can either get a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), which allows the parent to travel to Canada.