Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLI)

Canadian Designated Learning Institutions

What’s a DLI?

A Designated Learning Institution (or DLI) is a school that accepts international students. To obtain a Canadian study permit, you will need a letter from the DLI confirming your acceptance.

All Canadian primary and secondary schools are DLIs. International students must be admitted to postsecondary schools only after permission has been granted by the provincial government.

If you want to come to Canada to study at the postsecondary level, make sure that your school and program of study are on. You want to remain in Canada after graduation, so make sure you choose a DLI that will enable you to apply for a Permit to Work.

It takes two steps to become an international student in Canada.

First, you must be accepted to a Canadian school or designated learning institution. After receiving a letter of acceptance, it is possible to apply for a study permit through Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

A study permit is issued to you based on your acceptance at a Canadian school. Suppose you are studying at the postsecondary level. In that case, however, you can change your school or program, study field, or level without applying for a new permit.

Once you are accepted to the program, you must inform IRCC if your school has changed. This can be done online via your MyCIC account.

Designated Learning Institution Number(DLI Number)

Each school that accepts international students is assigned a unique DLI Number. On the application form for a study permit, you will find the DLI number. It is the number that starts with the letter O “.

If you want to come to Canada as an international student, first ensure that your school is on the list of Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs). Schools with multiple campuses or smaller colleges might have a different DLI for each campus.

Non-DLI Schools

Schools that are not listed as DLIs by their provincial or territorial authorities are not eligible to host international students.

You will not be granted a study permit if you apply for one to a non-DLI school. You can stay until you lose your DLI status. You can transfer to another DLI or continue at the school.

Secondary and Primary Schools

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs.

These schools provide education for students from Grade One through twelve in most provinces. Students receive their high school diploma when they graduate from secondary school.

A study permit is not required for dependent minor children. You can send your children to school if you are a parent with little children. You do not need to apply separately for a study permit.

How to change a Canadian DLI number

A valid study permit allows a foreign national to modify their study level, study institution, or program. They may need to notify the relevant immigration authority and apply for a new or extended study permit depending on the nature of the change.

Changing Programs

International students can choose to change programs at the same designated learning institutions (DLI) without modifying their study permit. IRCC will notify them about the changes. However, there are a few exceptions.

  • A study permit for a foreign national must have certain conditions. If these conditions are affected by changes in programs, they must inform IRCC about the changes.
  • A foreign national who changes to a program that is longer than the validity period of their study permit will need to request to extend their visa before the original expiration.

Changing Schools

International students who wish to transfer to the same institution at the same level are not required to apply for a new permit. However, they must notify IRCC of any changes in institutions. International students cannot be hosted at schools that are not designated learning institutions (DLI).

A certificate d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) is required for any foreign national who wishes to transfer to an institution within Quebec. Because Quebec has specific requirements for international students, this is necessary.

Levels of Study

Depending on the degree of study required by a foreign national, it might be necessary to apply for a new permit or inform IRCC about any changes. Here are some common differences between study levels:

  • You do not need a new license to change from primary to secondary education. Students who are transferring to another institution due to this change should contact IRCC for an update on their institution of study.
    • Note: A minor child must be accompanied by a parent or guardian with a valid work permit or study permit.
  • Changing from secondary to postsecondary education You will need a new license from IRCC to switch from secondary to postsecondary education.
  • If you are changing from one level of postsecondary education to another, you don’t need to obtain a new permit. If the student plans to change schools or alter the terms and conditions of the license, they should follow the instructions.

Transferring to School in Quebec

Quebec has more authority over international student authorization than Canada’s other territories and provinces. A study permit is required for any institution located in Quebec. Before applying for a study permit, first, a foreign national must obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ). The student can only submit their application for a study permit once they have got a CAQ.

International students who wish to transfer from an institution outside Quebec to one within Quebec will need to meet this CAQ requirement. To make such a transfer, students will first need to get a CAQ from Quebec. A CAQ is usually enough to allow the student to transfer. The student must update IRCC with any new information.

A new CAQ may be required for foreign nationals who wish to transfer from one Quebec institution to another.

  • A new CAQ is required for students who are changing their study levels.
  • A foreign national must apply for a CAQ if their studies exceed the expiry date on the CAQ.

Transferring institutions or programs that will impact the CAQ conditions must be notified to the Ministere de l’Immigration, de la Diversite et de l’Inclusion (MIDI). They may also need a new CAQ.

Changing a DLI: Step by Step guide

You can modify your DLI as long as you meet the conditions of your permit.

You will need the

  • An online account. An online version is required if you have submitted your study permit application via mail.
  • Your study permit number is located at the top right-hand corner of your study permit. It starts with the letter “S.”
  • The DLI number of your new school. You can look it up on this list of Canadian DLI numbers if you aren’t sure.
  • Your unique student ID number. This number can be found on your acceptance letter from the new school
  • Your start date at your new school.

Once you have all the necessary documentation, you can begin the process. These steps will allow you to modify your DLI.

Step 1: Sign in to your account

Step 2: Locate the Designated Learning Institution Student transfer section and click Transfer from DI number.

Step 3: Type your Study Permit Application Number and search for My Application.

Step 4: Provide more information about your original permit application.

Step 5: Enter the new DLI number, Student ID numbers, and your start date at the new school. Click on Submit transfer.

Step 6: Check the details of your transfer. Click Confirm Transfer if all information is correct.

Step 7: You should send a notification confirming that the transfer has been completed.

List Of DLI Colleges In Canada

Downoad list