Dentists are highly sought-after throughout the United States; according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job opportunities for dental professionals are projected to grow 19% over the period 2016-2026. With a bright job outlook and a salary that can be as high as three times the median salary for other occupations in the U.S., it’s no surprise that many people are thinking of attending dental schools.
New York is home to many prestigious universities that focus on health and sciences and includes numerous accredited dental schools. These include prestigious research programs at some of the most prestigious universities in the country. In addition, there are clinical-oriented universities where students in New York can get an experience-based education, preparing students to become certified dental professionals.
Who is a Dentist?
A dentist is professionally trained to take care of oral health issues: the gums and teeth. Their work also involves but isn’t limited to extracting and inserting teeth.
For a dentist to become a professional, It would take seven years to reach that level in the U.S. because you’ve earned four years to earn an undergraduate degree. The remaining four years make a D.D.S. or D.M.D. The credentials are necessary for the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S.) and Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) Doctor of Dental surgery (D.D.S) and Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) (Specialty Programs).
As with other professions, dentistry also is one of the specializations. Therefore, if you are planning to pursue a dental degree in the U.S., specifically in New York, here are some guidelines regarding specializations that you need to know about:
- Maxillofacial and oral surgeries research, identification and diagnosis of disorders of mouth, teeth, and the surrounding areas
- Oral Medicine: The dentistry area focuses on the oral health of patients with persistent, chronic, and medically-related disorders of the maxillofacial and or oral region, as well as their treatment and diagnosis.
- Orofacial discomfort: Orofacial pain is a broad term that describes symptoms of pain or dysfunction in the neck and head region.
- Endodontics: Detecting, preventing, and treating diseases and injuries to the dental pulp, surrounding tissues, and root canal.
- Health and dental public: they encourage good dental health and the prevention of dental illnesses within specific communities.
- Dental anesthesiology is a dental specialty that focuses on the latest general anesthesia, sedation, and pain management techniques to ease dental procedures.
- Dental and maxillofacial Radiology: diagnosing and treating oral disorders and diseases using x-rays and other forms of images.
- Dentistry for Children: Identifying and managing infants and young children’s oral health care requirements until adolescence.
- Periodontics Treatment and diagnosis of gum tissue as well as teeth supporting bones
- Prosthodontics The restoration of natural teeth, or replacing teeth that are missing or oral structures using artificial devices like dentures.
Make sure that you are confident in the area you wish to focus on to unleash the best of you.
10 BEST DENTAL SCHOOLS IN NEW YORK
- New York University College of Dentistry
- Farmingdale State College
- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- Suny Eric community College
- Eugene Maria de Hostos Community College
- Monroe Community College
- Touro College of Dental Medicine
- Hudson valley community college
- Stony Brook University
- CUNY New York City College of Technology
The schools mentioned above are listed below. Take your time and read through to assist you in making the best decision.
New York University College of Dentistry
The United States. It is the third-oldest, and the most significant dental college in the U.S., established in 1865, the college was founded in. The school is dedicated to the education, treatment, and research services for residents from America.
They offer free dental services to the surrounding area, which is beneficial for students and recipients. It means that you will learn in a classroom and have the opportunity to apply your knowledge in practice. Suppose you think about whether you’ll feel alone while you study. In that case, the university can offer acceptance to applicants from all walks of life regardless of race, origin, or religion.
The dental school has produced graduates who led advances in implant and aesthetic dental implants.
Farmingdale State College
The college is situated on the same campus as Farmingdale State College. The services offered in this college are root planting and fluoride treatment, selective polishing and nutritional counseling, oral cancer screening, dental whitening, radiography/digital radiography, scaling, and instructions for home care etc.
The school is dedicated to expanding the career paths you choose by offering comprehensive higher-level courses and specialized courses and students’ participation in off-campus clinical rotations.
After you’ve been accepted to the school, you must undergo a test every year for tuberculosis what you can gain as a student and later as a college alumnus is varied in the health field.
- Roles of leadership in the field related to oral hygiene.
- Technology-based advanced training.
- Methodology applications and the ability to think critically.
- You will become an expert in your chosen field and can produce outstanding results.
- The eligibility to join students’ American Dental Hygiene Association( SADHA).
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
The university is situated within Manhattan, New York. It was established in 1916. Dentistry is considered an essential aspect of healthcare at the school that was once called dentistry and oral surgery. The name was changed in the year 2006. They have the following programming
- Pediatric dentistry residency
- Endodontics program
- General practice residency
- Advanced dental education through a certificate program
- Orthodontics program
- Maxillofacial and oral surgeries
Suny Eric community College
These are public institutions situated in buffalo city. It was established in 1892. He is very successful in the following areas you could choose from:
- Department of oral biology
- Maxillofacial and oral surgeries
- Department of Pediatrics and dental community
- Department of restorative dentistry
- Oral diagnosis screening
- Department of Endodontics and Periodontics.
Eugene Maria de Hostos Community College
Hostos offers a wide range of dentistry programs within New York, graduating the most African Americans and Latino students. The top 10 on the list is Eugene Maria community college, created in 1968 to serve South Bronz, New York. The dentistry department is among the top locations in New York City. They teach students about clinical dental practices through the dental hygiene facility located at Hostos Community College for professional training. Hostos has its headquarters in South Bronx, New York.
Monroe Community College
MCC provides programs for Dental Hygiene in addition to Dental Assisting. It is located in the Brighton Campus in Rochester, NY.
These are advantageous for you as a student. They provide regular dental services offered by dental students with the guidance of licensed dentists. This means you can gain experience first-hand within your area of expertise.
The good news is that there are various choices to pay your tuition. They offer flexible terms for students.
Touro College of Dental Medicine
This college was the first dental college to open in New York City. You will have little difficulty paying your tuition fee. Most college-related expenses may include fees, books, supplies, housing, transportation, and other living expenses.
The first-time undergraduate degree at Touro is offered at up to 100% scholarships. Comparatively, professional and graduate programs are eligible for as much as 25% scholarships, so it’s time to act now when you believe this is the right choice.
Touro College of Dental Medicine has developed its curriculum to train students in current methods and techniques using the most sophisticated dental equipment and instruments. They provide a four-year dental education program that leads to attaining a D.D.S. degree.
Hudson valley community college
Formerly called Troy Technical Institute, Hudson Valley Technical Institute was founded in 1953. The students are monitored closely and assessed during treatment.
They provide certificates and associate degrees as well as career and transfer services.
For their online classes, they are semester-based. This means that students can finish their work in the context of their family and work commitments. There isn’t a set time that you have to sign in to class which makes it ideal for those who cannot be physically in attendance.
Stony Brook University
A public institution with solid potential. The university was established in 1957, and they offer outstanding academic programs and an impressive track record. The university is located on The North Shore of Long Island.
The Office of Research at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine is an excellent resource for students at the undergraduate level who are interested in conducting research.
Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) to provide students with the Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) program.
CUNY New York City College of Technology
The CUNY New York City College of Technology offers a degree in dentistry focusing on dental hygiene. The program covers students’ theory, laboratory, clinical practices, and general education classes.
They also learn the importance of professional judgment, ethics, ethical conduct, and prevention of infections. Thus, they develop an efficient and responsible manner of communication that allows them to interact with the patient.
The course you complete will cover human anatomy and public speaking, physiology, dental anatomy and microbiology, dental materials, nutrition, and general health.